June 28, 2010

Bear is good…..

really, really good!

Billie invited us to eat supper Saturday night….to eat bear!  An unbelievably gracious invitation.   Billie, Joey and Joe recently went to Newfoundland to hunt black bear with their bows.  They had quite a successful hunt and invited Mike, me and few other friends to share a meal and to regale us with tales of the hunt.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.  Firstly, how exactly does one cook bear? I’m a little weird about the texture of food…I was a bit worried.  But, I will try anything at least once so I was a little excited too.

I needn’t have worried.  It was absolutely amazing.  We spent the evening enjoying fried bear steaks and bear loin smothered in gravy.  I don’t know if I’ve ever been that full in my life.  It was one of the best meals I’ve ever had.

I am flattered and feel so honored that Billie, Joey and Joe would share such a rare and special thing with us. 

I am beyond blessed to have such great folks in my circle of friends!  I’ve discovered that is one of the surprise benefits of hunting…I am now closer than ever to some of my old friends and have expanded my circle to encompass some great newer friends as well.   

I send up a thanksgiving for the many blessings in my life daily…these days it’s taking a whole lot longer!

Billie-

BilliesBear

Joe-

JoesBear

Thanks again guys for sharing your bounty with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment