July 21, 2011

Absence makes the heart grow..

well, pretty lazy actually.  I realized a few weeks ago that it had been ages since I’d stopped long enough to blog.  Something I loved had fallen by the wayside.  I pledged to do better.  I was determined to start blogging regularly.  That was weeks ago.

How do I let life get in the way of doing the things I love?  Everyone is probably guilty of letting their priorities slip occasionally, but lately I really feel like I’ve let life run rampant over me.  How screwed up is that?  Shouldn’t the things that are truly important to me be my first priorities?

What does this have to do with hunting?   A lot actually.  I found myself last season letting things get in the way of my hunting time.  I’d stay up too late watching TV and feel like damnit in the stand the next morning.  I’d bring work to the stand with me, not physically but mentally.  I’d bring my worries about other peoples problems to the stand with me.   Getting my ass in a tree sometimes took second place to other things.  I’ve realized that I’d allowed that mentality to bleed over into my real life after the season ended. 

It takes dedication, hard work and time to truly do anything worth doing.   What’s important to me?  We choose the things we allow in our lives.  We choose the things we allow to become our priority.

My family is of course my number one priority.  My wonderful circle of friends is next.  After that, well the proof is in the pudding as they say.  So, with that in mind I have a new recipe as it were. 

The ingredient list is short: COPIOUS amounts of family and friends, mix with generous portions of laughter, stand time, reading, and writing!  All the rest, well I’ll sprinkle those on top as I see fit!

*Thanks Food Network for the bread pudding pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment