June 6, 2010

Shop ‘til you drop…

I got the ok from my doctor to drive Thursday.  SWEET FREEDOM!!!!  I’ve been cooped up since my surgery and I was ready to hit the road.

Billie is leaving next Friday headed to Newfoundland to hunt bear.  With a bow.  Yeah….I ain’t ready for all that yet.  Not sure I will EVER be!  So we’d decided that if I got the ok to drive, we’d head to Baton Rouge to the Bass Pro Shop and Cabela’s so she could pick up a few things she’d need for her trip.

We made good on our threat!  We spent the morning at Bass Pro and the afternoon at Cabela’s.  This was my first trip to either since I’ve started hunting.  TOTALLY different experience from my previous trips.  I pretty much wanted one of everything this time.  I managed to control myself and not spend TOO much money.  

I wanted to look for alternatives to climbing sticks and to try on safety harnesses. 

I hated the climbing sticks I used last year.  Firstly, I’m short.  It was difficult to climb because my stride is shorter than a man’s would be.  Secondly, I’m chunky, slightly out of shape (if I’m going to be honest)and scared of heights!  About midway up, I need a breather to regather myself and talk myself into continuing.  That’s a difficult prospect with one leg hiked up above the other, hanging out from a tree at a funky angle.  I was searching for an alternative that would make lock on stands a viable option for me in the future.

Success!  Big Game Stands makes a ladder!  007 I may be in a lock on this year!  At least it’s an option!

I tried on a number of safety harnesses.  I still haven’t found one that I really like. The vest ones just fit funky.  And so the search continues.  006I never did find the leg things on this one. 

I would like to point out that we bought two of the pretty little pop ups I’m standing by.  I’m looking forward to putting them in the woods!

I’m starting to really look forward to this year’s season.  I decided to join the lease.  By doing so, I’ve doubled my chances of bringing home venison.  I also like the potential for socializing that a lease brings.  I love being around people.  Especially people that I can learn from! 

It’s going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment